Its important for everyone to practice good dental habits. Its especially important for children who are developing life long habits. As parents its up to you to teach your children the proper habits for caring for your child’s oral health and teach them why that should be important to them! Here are ten tips for a healthy smile:
- Be a Positive Role Model. Teach your child that practicing good oral health is not only important but can be enjoyable.
- Choose a Pediatric Dentist that you Can Trust. Pediatric Dentist’s will make visits more enjoyable.
- Schedule Regular Dental Visits. Typically semi-annual or twice a year visits, as directed by your dentist for routine cleanings and checkups. Not only is it good for oral care but helps get your child comfortable with dental visits.
- Remind them to Brush and Floss. Be sure to remind them before school and before bedtime to clean their teeth. And don’t forget on weekends, holidays or summer break!
- Encourage Teeth Brushing at School. Provide your child with a travel toothbrush and toothpaste for use after lunch or snacks.
- Teach Why Flossing is Important. Flossing is as important as brushing your teeth. Flossing prevents gum disease which prevents health complications later in life.
- Breakfast is the Most Important Meal of the Day! Evidence shows high protein breakfasts reduce cravings for sweets later in the day.
- Reduce Sugary Drinks. If you must drink soda, do so through a straw to prevent exposure to tooth enamel.
- Replace Sweet Snacks with Healthy Alternatives. Choosing fruits, veggies, cheeses, crackers and water to protect teeth and health.
- Be Sure To Reward Healthy Oral Habits! Be sure to remind your child what a great job they are doing with their oral care! Google “healthy tooth rewards” to get creative ideas for making regular reward routines.
Instilling good dental habits now will make for healthy adult mouth later in life!
For more articles on dental health, see our main blog