- Wipe your newborn’s gums with a clean, damp cloth at least once a day.
- Begin brushing with a small toothbrush every day when your child’s first tooth appears, which is usually between the ages of 4 and 7 months. Ask your doctor whether to use toothpaste, and what type of toothpaste.
- Use a soft toothbrush with round-ended bristles made just for kids, and brush your child’s teeth using a circular motion, not a back-and-forth motion that can wear down gums.
- Brush everywhere – the front side, back side, tops and in between each tooth, and around the gums.
- Start using a pea-sized amount of fluoride toothpaste when your child is between the ages of 2 and 3 and able to understand how to spit out the toothpaste instead of swallowing it. Supervise closely and teach your child to spit out the toothpaste instead of swallowing it
Brushing Tips – Let’s face it, brushing isn’t always a child’s favorite activity! Make if fun with these ideas.
- Use brightly colored toothbrushes.
- Sing silly songs or fun new lyrics to classics like “Old MacDonald Had A Farm” to them as they brush.
- Make sounds that open the mouth wide, like saying “ahhh” really loud or roaring like a lion.
source: “Know Your Brushing Basics.” first5california.com. First 5 California, Web. Jan. 8th, 2017.
For more articles on dental health, see our main blog page.
We Look Forward To Welcoming You And Your Child…
You will find our office to be a pleasant and caring environment. We know a positive experience can set the tone for your child’s future dental health. That is why our office has been designed to be “kid friendly”. Even more importantly, our pediatric dentists and professional staff have dedicated their careers to helping children. We establish trust with your child by creating a safe and happy place for them to be. The latest in dental technology is combined with genuine compassion and concern.
We are open Monday through Saturday and offer appointments as early as 7:30am
The first checkup is recommended at the first birthday. Our patients generally stay with us until they graduate high school. We are proud to say we are now seeing the children of former patients, as the practice was established in 1973 by Dr. Robert Harmon.
We have 24 hour coverage for our patient’s dental emergencies. There is a pediatric dentist on call at all times. Should you need after hours advice or emergency care, simply dial our telephone number and our message will direct you.
Are we accepting new patients? Yes, absolutely! We are happy to welcome new patients to our practice and we appreciate your referring your friends and family to us.