Creative Care: Ways To Help Your Child’s Teeth!
Start Brushing Children’s Teeth Early
- Work together to establish a clear routine and stick to it!
- Reinforce the importance of brushing teeth by giving them good, clear reasons. Tell them that brushing everyday helps to prevent cavities and will give them a beautiful smile.
Show and Tell with a Toothbrush
- Brush your own teeth while your child is brushing. Get down on their level so they can see what you are doing.
- Demonstrate how to brush in circles, like train wheels going around on a track from left-to-right and right-to left.
- Show them how you brush all their teeth, top and bottom, front and back.
Let Them Pick Their Own Toothbrush & Toothpaste
- Children’s toothpaste comes in a variety of flavors and varieties- some even feature their favorite characters. Let them pick a couple of different ones, so they can switch it up.
- There are several children’s toothbrushes that are colorful and fun. Let them pick one with their favorite colors and characters.
Encourage Them to Brush on Their Own (Around Age 2)
- Let them put the toothpaste on the brush and do it by themselves.
- Don’t worry about the mess – it cleans up easily.
Make a Game of Brushing Teeth
- The minimum amount of time your children should brush is 2 minutes. Set a timer and see if they can continue for the correct amount of time.
- Brush along with them. Have a contest to see who can create the most bubbles with their brushing.
- Ask your children to show you how clean their teeth are after getting rid of all the cavity monsters.
Compliment Your Child’s Brushing
- You want them to develop a life-life long oral care routine, so use positive reinforcement.
- Create a sticker chart and give them stars for brushing their teeth twice a day and for flossing once a day.
source: orajel.com website
For more articles on dental health, see our main blog page.
We Look Forward To Welcoming You And Your Child…
You will find our office to be a pleasant and caring environment. We know a positive experience can set the tone for your child’s future dental health. That is why our office has been designed to be “kid friendly”. Even more importantly, our pediatric dentists and professional staff have dedicated their careers to helping children. We establish trust with your child by creating a safe and happy place for them to be. The latest in dental technology is combined with genuine compassion and concern.
We are open Monday through Saturday and offer appointments as early as 7:30am
The first checkup is recommended at the first birthday. Our patients generally stay with us until they graduate high school. We are proud to say we are now seeing the children of former patients, as the practice was established in 1973 by Dr. Robert Harmon.
We have 24 hour coverage for our patient’s dental emergencies. There is a pediatric dentist on call at all times. Should you need after hours advice or emergency care, simply dial our telephone number and our message will direct you.
Are we accepting new patients? Yes, absolutely! We are happy to welcome new patients to our practice and we appreciate your referring your friends and family to us.