Did you know that only 44% of children brush their teeth twice a day?
Here are some more astonishing facts about childhood tooth decay*:
- Cavities are four times more common than asthma among adolescents aged 14-17 years (15%).
- Of the four million children born in the U.S. each year, over half will have cavities by the time they reach second grade.
- American children miss more than 750,000 school days (51 million school hours!) each year due to dental conditions. That’s more missed school days than are caused by the flu each year!
- Over 16 million U.S. children have tooth decay, which equates to more than 25% of children between two and five years old, and 50% of those between 12 and 15 years old.
- All this can be prevented! A child’s preventative care program should include:
- Healthy diet
- Dental visits twice yearly
- Brushing and flossing twice daily
The Surgeon General calls tooth decay the single most common chronic childhood disease – five times more common than asthma and seven times more common than the common cold!
*All facts provided by the American Dental Association
source: “5 Astonishing Facts About Childhood Tooth Decay” by kbenda Childrens-Dental-Center.com Childrens Dental Center, July 14th, 2014, Web March 6th 2018.
For more articles on dental health, see our main blog page.
About Pediatric Dentistry Of Pleasant Hill
You will find our office to be a pleasant and caring environment. We know a positive experience can set the tone for your child’s future dental health. That is why our office has been designed to be “kid friendly”. Even more importantly, our pediatric dentists and professional staff have dedicated their careers to helping children. We establish trust with your child by creating a safe and happy place for them to be. The latest in dental technology is combined with genuine compassion and concern.
We are open Monday through Saturday and offer appointments as early as 7:30am
The first checkup is recommended at the first birthday. Our patients generally stay with us until they graduate high school. We are proud to say we are now seeing the children of former patients, as the practice was established in 1973 by Dr. Robert Harmon.
We have 24 hour coverage for our patient’s dental emergencies. There is a pediatric dentist on call at all times. Should you need after hours advice or emergency care, simply dial our telephone number and our message will direct you.
Are we accepting new patients? Yes, absolutely! We are happy to welcome new patients to our practice and we appreciate your referring your friends and family to us.