Age Appropriate Dental Health Tips
- Wipe gums with a washcloth after feeding. This will help get rid of the sticky coating called plaque that can cause tooth decay.
- Brush teeth twice a day with water and a soft-bristle toothbrush.
- Schedule first dental appointment before first birthday.
- Start using fluoride toothpaste at age 3
- Use only a pea-sized amount. Make sure your child spits it out after brushing.
- Try to break thumb-sucking and pacifier habits by age 4.
- Start visiting your dental team every 6 months.
- Begin flossing as soon as teeth touch.
- Let your child know that it’s normal for baby teeth to fall out. That’s how “grown-up” teeth come in.
- Until children are able to practice proper oral health habits alone, parents should help their child brush and floss twice a day.
- Always pay special attention to the back teeth, which may have more plaque.
- Require children who play sports to wear a mouthguard to protect their smile.
- Parents can make the most of their teen’s interest in how they look by reminding them that a healthy smile and fresh breath will help them look and feel their best.
source: dentalcare.com website