Age Appropriate Dental Health Tips
- Wipe gums with a washcloth after feeding. This will help get rid of the sticky coating called plaque that can cause tooth decay.
- Brush teeth twice a day with water and a soft-bristle toothbrush.
- Schedule first dental appointment before first birthday.
- Start using fluoride toothpaste at age 3
- Use only a pea-sized amount. Make sure your child spits it out after brushing.
- Try to break thumb-sucking and pacifier habits by age 4.
- Start visiting your dental team every 6 months.
- Begin flossing as soon as teeth touch.
- Let your child know that it’s normal for baby teeth to fall out. That’s how “grown-up” teeth come in.
- Until children are able to practice proper oral health habits alone, parents should help their child brush and floss twice a day.
- Always pay special attention to the back teeth, which may have more plaque.
- Require children who play sports to wear a mouthguard to protect their smile.
- Parents can make the most of their teen’s interest in how they look by reminding them that a healthy smile and fresh breath will help them look and feel their best.
source: dentalcare.com website
For more articles on dental health, see our main blog page.
We Look Forward To Welcoming You And Your Child…
You will find our office to be a pleasant and caring environment. We know a positive experience can set the tone for your child’s future dental health. That is why our office has been designed to be “kid friendly”. Even more importantly, our pediatric dentists and professional staff have dedicated their careers to helping children. We establish trust with your child by creating a safe and happy place for them to be. The latest in dental technology is combined with genuine compassion and concern.
We are open Monday through Saturday and offer appointments as early as 7:30am
The first checkup is recommended at the first birthday. Our patients generally stay with us until they graduate high school. We are proud to say we are now seeing the children of former patients, as the practice was established in 1973 by Dr. Robert Harmon.
We have 24 hour coverage for our patient’s dental emergencies. There is a pediatric dentist on call at all times. Should you need after hours advice or emergency care, simply dial our telephone number and our message will direct you.
Are we accepting new patients? Yes, absolutely! We are happy to welcome new patients to our practice and we appreciate your referring your friends and family to us.